Saturday, May 3, 2014

Using Container Gardening To Solve A Multitude of Problems

"After every storm the sun will smile; for every problem there is a solution, and the soul's indefeasible duty is to be of good cheer." -William R. Alger, American Writer

Have you been intimidated from gardening because you lacked gardening space or the space you have is too shaded or you have problems with rabbits?  Utilizing containers can help you get around those concerns.

When I started the garden at the Community Day Center, I was inspired to create a garden at home. My children built three 8' X 4' raised boxes for me.  My goal was monetary, I wanted to raise enough fresh vegetables inexpensively to feed the homeless community at the Center and to have the guests contribute to raising the food that they eat. As a city girl, I didn't realize how invigorating and intuned with nature I felt being outdoors and raising food from the land.  Alfred Austin  said, "The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul." Slowly, I started getting frustrated when my tomatoes grew but didn't produce fruit because they didn't get enough sun.  Then as soon as the leafy vegetables and beans grew, the rabbits would eat all the plants down to the stems. 

But every problem has a solution(s).  Catherine, my blog partner, told me she grew her beans in a hanging basket.  Actually, she grows all her vegetables in pots on her porch.  She even makes her own organic fertilizer.  I'll ask if she'd give us her recipe.  Two weeks ago, I planted the pea shoots that I germinated in a hanging basket.  With all the rain we had, I didn't even have to water it. Once they are 3 to 4 inches, I plan to pinch them back for salad or stir-fry, depending on how much I have. Here is what they look like three weeks later:





Since the pea shoots are out of reach of the rabbits, I planted a second basket.  This time I have strawberries and different mixes of lettuce. I read that strawberries do well with lettuce.  I also read that borage is also a good companion for strawberries.  The bees are attracted to the borage and helpful to the strawberries.


Many plants require 6 to 8 hours of sun.  The best spot for them are the front of my house which is south facing. So today, I pulled out my grow bags and placed them between the bushes.  Last couple of years, I grew potatoes in them.  Since potatoes are inexpensive, I've decided to grow herbs and vegetables in them this year.



In this bag, I grouped basil, flat leaf parsley and tarragon around the plum tomato plant. These plants like sun and moist soil.  They are also good for making a red sauce with chicken.


In the second bag, I grouped Thai basil, sage, oregano and marjoram around a cherry tomato plant. These herbs like some shade and dryer soil.


In the third bag, I have a sweet pepper plant and Japanese eggplant plant.  When I purchase a fourth bag, I plan on planting beets.



Another idea to deter the rabbits, I purchaged these tents to put over the boxes.  They cost $88.00 for three online at Home Depot.  If I was more creative, I could have built my own fences, probably less expensive, around the boxes. I plan on starting with cold weather vegetables. In the early spring, there are less pest to harm the vegetables. They are salad vegetables, kale, collards and cabbage family.  I have been germinating seeds and will plant them today.

If you'd like to communicate with me or Catherine, give us ideas or advice, write to uas at director@communitydaycenter.org.  HAPPY PLANTING.

No comments:

Post a Comment