Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Healthy Food Project: Experiment Day 2


Emily had an AP exam that she had schedule prior to our experiment.  Since she was not in Waltham, she couldn't depend on the Day Center or Soup Kitchen for nourishment and had to rely on purchasing the most filling and healthy food she could with her $6.00.  Stay tuned for tomorrow for Emily's synthesis of her experience and any revised advice she has for us. And, based on what she learned, it may be possible for the Day Center to develop a healthy eating/healthy snack program for the guests.

Day 2

Having to take an exam today added a degree of difficulty in Day 2 of this experiment. I have never found myself thinking this much about food. I was constantly trying to plan when to eat, to try to sustain myself for the longest amount of time. I also found myself planning for what type of food I might have to buy if I get hungry and if I would be able to afford it. All this worrying and thinking about food really put in perspective a different stress that many others have to deal with every day. It made me remember that there can be things that some of us never think twice about and some have to think about constantly. It just goes to show that we should never take anything for granted.

So, this morning I had the Cliff Bar that I purchased yesterday at around 10:00AM. That sustained me throughout the exam. I used my re-usable water bottle throughout the day, which saves a lot of money on drinks and is great for the environment!
http://keetsa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/this-is-not-plastic-sigg-water-bottle.jpg 

Since, I was finished with my exam at 5PM I did not have enough time to go to the Day Center or the Soup Kitchen. If I am being completely honest, I forgot about how this exam would affect my food intake today, so I had an unexpected dilemma. I went to Dunkin Donuts in Waltham and purchased a small hot coffee for $1.70 and a plain bagel with cream cheese for $2.25, adding up to $3.95 out of my daily $6.00. By that time it was around 5:45PM and like many of the guests do everyday I decided to talk a walk around Waltham (mainly on Main Street and Moody Street). I found this to be a pleasant walk, saying hello to people and enjoying the fresh air. During the walk I was able to free my mind on food and just enjoy my surroundings. I went back home around 6:45 and did not find myself to be that hungry. Now that it is about 10:00PM I could use a little food. So, I finished off the trail mix that I bought yesterday and instead of thinking that my stomach isn’t really full, I will head off to bed.

Tomorrow I will be attending the Day Center and the Soup Kitchen and now will plan to eat what is provided at those places and see if I am sustained enough to not have to buy any snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment